The WorldRemit Wallet offers you a new way to securely send, receive or store money with WorldRemit. Here we answer a few questions you may have about how it works, how to get started and anything else you might need to know.
This section covers general WorldRemit Wallet topics but if you’re interested in questions about transactions (sending, receiving, storing or withdrawing money from the WorldRemit Wallet) you can jump to those sections through their links.
- What is the WorldRemit Wallet?
- What are the benefits of a WorldRemit Wallet?
- Who is the WorldRemit Wallet for?
- How do I (or my recipient) get the WorldRemit Wallet?
- How do I (or my recipient) register for the WorldRemit Wallet?
- Can I sign up to the WorldRemit Wallet if I already have a WorldRemit account?
- What can I do with my WorldRemit Wallet?
- Where is the WorldRemit Wallet available?
- How do you keep my money safe in the WorldRemit Wallet?
- How does the WorldRemit Wallet work?
- Someone sent money to my WorldRemit Wallet, how do I access it?
- Why hasn’t my recipient received the money I sent to their WorldRemit Wallet?
- Can I cancel a transaction to or from a WorldRemit Wallet?
- What currencies can I receive, send or store money in with the WorldRemit Wallet?
- How much money can I store in my WorldRemit Wallet?
- How much does it cost to have a WorldRemit Wallet?
- What’s the difference between a WorldRemit Wallet and a Currency Account?
- Why can't I get a WorldRemit Wallet in my region?
- What do I need to provide to get a WorldRemit Wallet?
- What photo IDs can I provide in order to get a WorldRemit Wallet?
- Why do I have to provide photo ID?
- I've uploaded my ID, why is my Wallet not activated yet?
- What is mobile number verification and how do I complete it?
- Is the WorldRemit Wallet available on WorldRemit’s website?
- What do I do if I change my telephone number?
- What do I do if I lose my mobile phone?
- How do I get in contact with WorldRemit about my Wallet?
- How do I provide feedback to WorldRemit about the WorldRemit Wallet?
What is the WorldRemit Wallet?
The WorldRemit Wallet is an account in the WorldRemit app that allows you to easily store, send, or receive money. Much like a physical wallet, this digital wallet gives you somewhere to store your money, but with even more features and security. For instance, the WorldRemit Wallet is a multi currency Wallet so your can open one or several currency accounts which best serve your needs.
You can use the Wallet just as an account for yourself, or to send or receive money to and from other people who are either local to you or who live around the World. It works with our global pay-out network so, depending on a specific country’s payout network, payments can be made to other people so money can be conveniently received to a bank account, a mobile money account or collected as a cash pick up.
What are the benefits of a WorldRemit Wallet?
The WorldRemit Wallet offers a number of great benefits for those who want to hold, send or receive money. They include:
- A multi-currency Wallet, where you can choose what currency you would like to store money in. It could be just one or several currencies.
- The ability to money send to, or receive money from, other people in your region and in over 150 countries around the world.
- Make use of our payout network, meaning funds can be sent to someone or withdrawn to yourself to a bank account, to a mobile money account or collected as a cash pickup, depending on the particular country’s payout network.
Choosing the WorldRemit Wallet as a way for people to receive money holds a number of benefits for your recipient which include:
- Being able to choose when and how they go on to use their funds
- It costs nothing to receive money
- Once they have registered for a Wallet, being able to receive those funds near-instantly
- Being able to make payments themselves in a convenient way, in a currency they prefer, either locally or around the World.
- Have a safe, secure and convenient account to hold money in, available as a smartphone app
Who is the WorldRemit Wallet for?
The Wallet is available to those who want to have a convenient digital account that allows them to send, receive or store money in one or several currencies. It’s designed to make managing money much easier, so perfect for those with busy lives, especially those that that may need to make or receive payments locally or around the World.
How do I (or my recipient) get the WorldRemit Wallet?
The Wallet is available for free to anyone with an Android or iOS smartphone and comes as part of the WorldRemit app which is available to download from Google Play or the App Store. Just follow the steps described below to get started. Right now, it’s available in the following regions, but we’re excited about making the Wallet available in other countries too - so watch this space for updates.
Don’t forget, if the Wallet isn’t available in your region you can send money to a WorldRemit Wallet from over 50 countries. Just head to our homepage and select one of the above regions to send money to.
How do I (or my recipient) register for the WorldRemit Wallet?
If the WorldRemit Wallet is available in your or your recipient’s region and you or they would like to open one, there’s just a few simple steps to follow. The Wallet is designed to keep our customers and their money safe, and it’s completely free to download.
- Go to Google Play or the App Store and download the WorldRemit app
- Sign up with your email address and create your password and PIN code
- On the Wallet tab of the app, you can activate your Wallet by entering some information like your address and a nominated mobile phone number (which will be your WorldRemit Wallet number, which others can use to easily send you money). If we’ve already sent you an SMS to say that someone has sent you money, you’ll need to sign up using the same number we sent your SMS to.
- Enter a secret six-digit code within 10 minutes that we’ll send you by SMS – this helps us to verify your phone number
- Upload an image from a valid photo ID (passport, driving license or Government issued ID). We widely accept passports, driving licenses and Government issued IDs. You can see the exact types of popular photo IDs we accept for each region here.
- Once we’ve confirmed your identity, your WorldRemit Wallet is ready to go!
Can I sign up to the WorldRemit Wallet if I already have a WorldRemit account?
Yes. For those countries where the Wallet is available, you’ll see a new Wallet tab in the WorldRemit app. You’ll just need to complete the above verification process by completing the SMS verification and uploading a copy of a valid photo ID if you haven’t previously provided one to us. You’ll then be ready to go!
What can I do with my WorldRemit Wallet?
The WorldRemit Wallet is packed with features to make managing your money even more convenient.
Features may vary by region so what you can do with your Wallet depends on which WorldRemit country you signed up with.
In the majority of regions customers with a Wallet can:
- Store money in one or more currencies
- Receive money to their Wallet either locally or across country borders in one or more currencies
- Send money to other people’s WorldRemit Wallets either locally or across country borders in one or more currencies,
- Send money to other people by making use of our local and global payout network meaning funds can, depending on the specific payout country, be transferred into someone’s bank account, a mobile money account, or collected as a cash pickup.
- Withdraw their money to themselves using WorldRemit’s payout network, often meaning funds can be transferred into a bank account, a mobile money account, or collected as a cash pickup.
We’re adding new functionality all the time. Soon customers in all regions will be able to:
⁃ Exchange money held in one currency into another currency within their own Wallet
Customers in some regions will soon be able to:
⁃ Top Up their Wallet by adding money to it, funding the top up by debit or credit card, bank transfer or a payment from a mobile money account (payment methods vary by region).
See ‘Where is the WorldRemit Wallet available?’ below to view region-specific information including what features are available in your region.
Where is the WorldRemit Wallet available?
You can also send money to a WorldRemit Wallet from over 50 countries. Just head to our homepage and select one of the below regions to send money to. Right now, the WorldRemit Wallet is available to customers living in the following regions:
We’re excited to bring it to other countries as soon as we can.
How do you keep my money safe in the WorldRemit Wallet?
WorldRemit is an expert at keeping customer’s money safe. We’re had years of experience in verifying those who use our services, plus processing funds on behalf of customers. We have a wide range of fraud detection controls and tools at our disposal to ensure that money remains belonging to those whose it is. We’re also authorised and regulated as a financial services company in over 50 countries, so you know your money is safe with us.
How does the WorldRemit Wallet work?
Head straight to our WorldRemit Wallet ‘How it Works’ section for everything you need to know.
Someone sent money to my WorldRemit Wallet, how do I access it?
You can see frequently asked questions about receiving money to your Wallet here.
Why hasn’t my recipient received the money I sent to their WorldRemit Wallet?
If you’ve sent money to a WorldRemit Wallet that hasn’t arrived yet, double check that you’ve followed all of the below steps:
- Make sure that you’re sending to the correct phone number registered to the Wallet
- Confirm that the person you’re sending money to is fully registered to the WorldRemit Wallet
- Check that they’ve signed up with the same phone number you entered when making the transaction
If your recipient doesn’t yet have a WorldRemit Wallet, they’ll need to register for one to access the money you’ve sent them. We’ll automatically send them an SMS explaining this and ask them to download the WorldRemit app. Once downloaded, they’ll just need to follow the steps listed under “How do I (or my recipient) register the WorldRemit Wallet?” above.
If your recipient doesn't have an Android or iOS phone please contact Customer Service with your transaction number and we’ll be able to cancel the transaction.
Can I cancel a transaction to or from a WorldRemit Wallet?
To see our cancellation and refunds information please see our information here.
What currencies can I receive, send or store money in with the WorldRemit Wallet?
Today customers can send, receive or store money in the following currencies:
- United States Dollar
- Great British Pound
- Philippine Peso
- With many more to come
The particular currencies available in your region will vary. Go to those region’s pages to find out more (see region links listed above on this page).
If you want to send money to a Wallet through WorldRemit it doesn’t matter what currency you’re funding your payment with (you can always select which of the available Wallet currencies you want your recipient to receive).
How much money can I store in my WorldRemit Wallet?
Like many digital accounts, WorldRemit sets a cap on how much money can be held within each Wallet for security purposes. Balance limits vary by region so the amount you can hold depends on where you live.
Balance limits come in two forms: one can be set by WorldRemit on specific currency account(s) and another type can be set as a total balance for the Wallet, which is totalled between all the currency accounts held by a user.
As an example, Sandra may have a WorldRemit Wallet and hold three currency accounts: US Dollar, British Pound, and Philippine Peso. The Wallet Balance Limit may be $2000, meaning Sandra could approximately hold $1000, £400, and P2600 in each of her accounts and stay within the Wallet Balance Limit.
But, if there was a $500 currency account balance limit on the US currency account, Sandra wouldn’t be able to hold any more than that in her US Dollar currency account, but could still hold up to $2000 equivalent between all of her currency accounts.
So, in summary a Wallet will always have a Wallet Balance Limit; it may also contain specific Currency Account Balance Limits too.
The particular limits applied to your region will vary. Take a look at the links above to region’s Wallet FAQ pages to find out more.
How much does it cost to have a WorldRemit Wallet?
It’s completely free to:
- Download the WorldRemit app
- Hold funds in your WorldRemit Wallet
- Receive money to your WorldRemit Wallet
- Send money within your region, where the send currency and the receive currency are the same (eg sending US for your recipient to receive US Dollars)
- Withdraw money to yourself, where the send currency and the receive currency are the same (eg sending US for your recipient to receive US Dollars)
When sending money to another country, or when making a local payment which involves two currencies (eg sending US Dollars but your recipient receiving Philippine Peso) our low fees and/or exchange rate will be clearly shown before sending any money.
What’s the difference between a WorldRemit Wallet and a Currency Account?
Customers in those regions who have registered for a Wallet will have a single WorldRemit Wallet but could have one or more currency accounts within that Wallet, helping to manage various needs across different currencies.
Why can't I get a WorldRemit Wallet in my region?
The WorldRemit Wallet is being made available in a growing number of regions. To make sure we provide the very best service, we’re making the Wallet available for a select number of locations. We’re sorry if the Wallet isn’t yet available in your region but if you’d like to let us know that you’d like to have the Wallet available in your region in the future, do drop us a note here – it’ll help us with our future plans to help even more customers with their money.
What do I need to provide to get a WorldRemit Wallet?
When registering for a WorldRemit Wallet we’ll typically ask for the below information so we know who you are and can verify those details according to what many financial regulators require us to collect. This also means we can keep you and your money safe.
- A nominated email address in order to create a WorldRemit customer account
- Full (legal) name, exactly as it appears on your photo ID
- Date of birth, exactly as it may appears on your photo ID
- Your mobile telephone number, which will be your WorldRemit Wallet number
- Full Address, exactly as it may appear on your photo ID
- Gender (optional)
- A valid photo ID issued as a passport, driving license or Government-issued ID
What photo IDs can I provide in order to get a WorldRemit Wallet?
Whatever valid and in-date passport you may own, you can use that to open a Wallet. If you don’t have a passport, we will usually accept a driving license or Government issued photo ID (as long as the ID is issued by the country from which you are looking to open a WorldRemit Wallet in). The ID you provide to us must have a clear image of your face otherwise we won’t be able to open a Wallet for you.
For a list of the specific ID types we support go to the following Wallet region FAQs:
Why do I have to provide photo ID?
It is important to keep your money safe. By asking for official identification, we are able to verify that people sending money are who they say they are. We are also required by law to carry out “Know Your Customer” compliance checks. You can see our ID verification page for more information.
I've uploaded my ID, why is my Wallet not activated yet?
We’re usually able to verify your ID document within 15 minutes, but at certain busy periods this may take a bit longer. We will always endeavour to come back to you within 1-2 hours at most. If for any reason we are unable to verify your ID document (e.g. if the quality of the ID is too low/ blurred), we may ask you to re-upload it.
What is mobile number verification and how do I complete it?
Because we link your unique mobile number to your WorldRemit Wallet, we need to verify that mobile number so we can ensure that money is always delivered to the right person. This means that only one mobile number can be associated with one WorldRemit Wallet and cannot be shared between 2 different customer accounts. One control we have to ensure that the correct person is signing up with the nominated number, is the SMS we send to that number containing a secret one time code.
We will send you a text message with a 6-digit code which you will need to enter in the app when prompted. May sure to enter it straight away as the pin will expire after 10 minutes. If you need another code, just return to the Wallet tab in the app and select ‘send a new sms’.
Is the WorldRemit Wallet available on WorldRemit’s website?
The WorldRemit Wallet is currently available on WorldRemit’s smartphone app, both from Google Play and the App Store. If you’d like to see the Wallet available on our website, do get in touch through our Contact Us section and it’ll help inform our roadmap of new features and services.
What do I do if I change my telephone number?
If you need to change the telephone number associated to your WorldRemit Wallet you’ll need to telephone WorldRemit and we’ll update your account. Make sure you tell anyone who sent money to your original number though, as they’ll too need to update those details to make sure any future transaction of theirs to you makes its way to you.
What do I do if I lose my mobile phone?
Because your WorldRemit Wallet is part of the WorldRemit app, you’ll always need to login using your pin or password. But because your Wallet is linked to your mobile phone number, if you lose your mobile phone you need to get in contact with WorldRemit so we can freeze your account to ensure your money remains safe. We can re-enable your WorldRemit account when either you have a new phone number, or if you have recovered your phone and are sure no one else had use of your mobile number.
To temporarily freeze your account, please contact customer service by calling us on a phone number listed here. Once you have recovered your phone or have a new number, we can re-enable your account. We will require you to go through SMS verification again in order to confirm the number, and you will have access to your WorldRemit Wallet as normal.
How do I get in contact with WorldRemit about my Wallet?
You can visit our Contact Us page here.
How do I provide feedback to WorldRemit about the WorldRemit Wallet?
We’d love to hear from you about any feedback, comments or suggestions. Just visit our Contact Us page here.