FAQs about the WorldRemit Wallet
From 10th November 2020:
When Sending Money to the WorldRemit Wallet: When sending to someone new in Cameroon, Ghana, Philippines, Somaliland or Uganda, you will no longer see the wallet as an available delivery option. Senders will still be able to complete transactions to Wallet as normal if a Wallet user requests money to their Wallet through the Request Money feature, and you will be able to Send Again on app to a Wallet user you have previously sent to. When Receiving Money in the WorldRemit Wallet: You can still receive money in the WorldRemit Wallet from a new Sender, but only if you request via the Wallet. To do this, simply tap “Request” on the Wallet tab in the app and enter your desired amount. Then you can share a payment link that will deposit funds directly into your wallet if used by the Sender.
From 7th December:
If you sign up for the app in Ghana, Philippines, Cameroon, Uganda or Somaliland, you will no longer be able to register & activate a new Wallet. This means that when you log into the app, if you don’t already have an activated Wallet account, you will no longer be able to access the Wallet tab to open a new Wallet.The WorldRemit Wallet offers you a new way to securely send, receive or store money with WorldRemit. Here we answer a few questions you may have about how it works, how to get started and anything else you might need to know.
This section covers general WorldRemit Wallet topics but if you’re interested in questions about transactions, you can jump to those sections through their links below:
- Sending From the WorldRemit Wallet
- Receiving money into the WorldRemit Wallet
- Storing money in the WorldRemit Wallet
- Withdrawing from the WorldRemit Wallet
- Requesting money with the WorldRemit Wallet
- Wallet Registration
- How it works
What is the WorldRemit Wallet?
The WorldRemit Wallet is a secure account in the WorldRemit app available in a limited number of countries. It’s like a physical wallet but with even more features. Using the Wallet users can easily receive, store, send and withdraw money. Money can be sent or received between countries as well as held in the Wallet in several currencies.
What are the benefits of a WorldRemit Wallet?
The WorldRemit Wallet offers a number of great benefits for those who want to hold, send or receive money. They include:
- A multi-currency Wallet, where you can choose what currency you would like to store money in. It could be just one or several currencies.
- The ability to money send to, or receive money from, other people in your country and over 150 countries around the world.
- Make use of our payout network, meaning funds can be sent to someone or withdrawn to yourself to a bank account, to a mobile money account or collected as a cash pickup, depending on the particular country’s payout network.
Choosing the WorldRemit Wallet as a way for people to receive money holds a number of benefits for your recipient which include:
- Being able to choose when and how they go on to use their funds
- It costs nothing to receive money
- Once they have registered for a Wallet, being able to receive those funds near-instantly
- Being able to make payments themselves in a convenient way, in a currency they prefer, either locally or around the world.
- Have a safe, secure and convenient account to hold money in, available as a smartphone app
Who is the WorldRemit Wallet for?
The Wallet is available in a limited number of countries to those who want to have a convenient digital account that allows them to send, receive or store money in one or several currencies. It’s designed to make managing money much easier, so perfect for those with busy lives, especially those that that may need to make or receive payments locally or around the World.
How do I (or my recipient) get the WorldRemit Wallet?
The Wallet is available to customers with a Android or iOS smartphone in a limited but growing number of countries (see 'Where is the WorldRemit Wallet available?' section below. It comes as part of the WorldRemit app which is available to download from Google Play or the App Store. Just follow the steps described below to get started.
Don’t forget, if the Wallet isn’t available in your region you can still send money from over 50 countries to a WorldRemit Wallet. Just head to our homepage and select the country you want to send money to.
How do I (or my recipient) register for the WorldRemit Wallet?
If the WorldRemit Wallet is available in your or your recipient’s region and you or they would like to open one, there’s just a few simple steps to follow. The Wallet is designed to keep our customers and their money safe, and it’s completely free to download.
- Go to Google Play or the App Store and download the WorldRemit app
- Sign up with your email address and create your password and PIN code
- On the Wallet tab of the app, you can activate your Wallet by entering some information like your address and a nominated mobile phone number (which will be your WorldRemit Wallet number, which others can use to easily send you money). If we’ve already sent you an SMS to say that someone has sent you money, you’ll need to sign up using the same number we sent your SMS to.
- Enter a secret six-digit code within 10 minutes that we’ll send you by SMS – this helps us to verify your phone number
- Upload an image from a valid photo ID (passport, driving license or Government issued ID). We widely accept passports, driving licenses and Government issued IDs. You can see the exact types of popular photo IDs we accept for each region here.
- Once we’ve confirmed your identity, your WorldRemit Wallet is ready to go!
Can I sign up to the WorldRemit Wallet if I already have an account?
Yes. For those countries where the Wallet is available, you’ll see in the app you’ll need to complete the verification process by completing the SMS verification and uploading a copy of a photo ID. You’re then ready to go!
What can I do with my WorldRemit Wallet?
The WorldRemit Wallet is packed with features to make managing your money even more convenient.
Features may vary by region so what you can do with your Wallet depends on which WorldRemit country you signed up with.
In the majority of regions customers with a Wallet can:
- Store money in one or more currencies
- Receive money to their Wallet either locally or across country borders in one or more currencies
- Send money to other people’s WorldRemit Wallets either locally or across country borders in one or more currencies,
- Send money to other people by making use of our local and global payout network meaning funds can, depending on the specific payout country, be transferred into someone’s bank account, a mobile money account, or collected as a cash pickup.
- Withdraw their money to themselves using WorldRemit’s payout network, often meaning funds can be transferred into a bank account, a mobile money account, or collected as a cash pickup.
We’re adding new functionality all the time. Soon customers in all regions will be able to:
⁃ Exchange money held in one currency into another currency within their own Wallet
Customers in some regions will soon be able to:
⁃ Top Up their Wallet by adding money to it, funding the top up by debit or credit card, bank transfer or a payment from a mobile money account (payment methods vary by region).
See ‘Where is the WorldRemit Wallet available?’ below to view region-specific information including what features are available in your region.
Where is the WorldRemit Wallet available?
You can also send money to a WorldRemit Wallet from over 50 countries. Just head to our homepage and select one of the below regions to send money to. Right now, the WorldRemit Wallet is available to customers living in the following regions:
- Residents in a limited number of other countries - just head to our homepage and select the country you'd like to send to. If 'WorldRemit' Wallet is one of the services available, your recipient can receive money this way.
We’re excited to bring it to other countries as soon as we can.
How do you keep my money safe in the WorldRemit Wallet?
WorldRemit is an expert at keeping customer’s money safe. We’re had years of experience in verifying those who use our services, plus processing funds on behalf of customers. We have a wide range of fraud detection controls and tools at our disposal to ensure that money remains belonging to those whose it is. We’re also authorised and regulated as a financial services company in over 50 countries, so you know your money is safe with us.
Someone sent money to my WorldRemit Wallet, how do I access it?
You can see frequently asked questions about receiving money to your Wallet here.
Why hasn’t my recipient received the money I sent to their WorldRemit Wallet?
If you’ve sent money to a WorldRemit Wallet that hasn’t arrived yet, double check that you’ve followed all of the below steps:
- Make sure that you’re sending to the correct phone number registered to the Wallet
- Confirm that the person you’re sending money to is fully registered to the WorldRemit Wallet
- Check that they’ve signed up with the same phone number you entered when making the transaction
If your recipient doesn’t yet have a WorldRemit Wallet, they’ll need to register for one to access the money you’ve sent them. We’ll automatically send them an SMS explaining this and ask them to download the WorldRemit app. Once downloaded, they’ll just need to follow the steps listed under “How do I (or my recipient) register the WorldRemit Wallet?” above.
If your recipient doesn't have an Android or iOS phone please contact Customer Service with your transaction number and we’ll be able to cancel the transaction.
Can I cancel a transaction to or from a WorldRemit Wallet?
To see our cancellation and refunds information please see our information here.
What currencies can I receive, send or store money in with the WorldRemit Wallet?
For customers who live in Somaliland, the WorldRemit Wallet supports US Dollar and British Pound. For all other countries where the WorldRemit Wallet is available, customers can hold US Dollar, Philippine Peso, Ugandan Shilling and CFA Franc BEAC. We're looking to add even more currencies soon.
As a reminder if you want to send money to a WorldRemit Wallet you can send from any of our supported countries.
How much money can I store in my WorldRemit Wallet?
Like many digital accounts, WorldRemit sets a cap on how much money can be held within each Wallet for security purposes.
For customers in Somaliland, refer to the Somaliland Wallet FAQ page to see how much can be held.
Where the WorldRemit Wallet is available in other countries, you can hold the equivalent of up to $2000. This is calculated by adding up all of the money held in a WorldRemit Wallet, across one or more currencies, and summed to the equivalent amount of US Dollar.
How much does it cost to have a WorldRemit Wallet?
It’s completely free to:
- Download the WorldRemit app
- Hold funds in your WorldRemit Wallet
- Receive money to your WorldRemit Wallet
- Send money within your region, where the send currency and the receive currency are the same (eg sending USD for your recipient to receive USD)
- Withdraw money to yourself, where the send currency and the receive currency are the same (eg sending USD for your recipient to receive USD)
When sending money to another country, or when making a local payment which involves two currencies (eg sending US Dollars but your recipient receiving Philippine Peso, Uganda Shilling) our low fees and/or exchange rate will be clearly shown before sending any money.
What’s the difference between a WorldRemit Wallet and a Currency Account?
Customers in those regions who have registered for a Wallet will have a single WorldRemit Wallet but could have one or more currency accounts within that Wallet, helping to manage various needs across different currencies.
Why can't I get a WorldRemit Wallet in my region?
The WorldRemit Wallet is being made available in a growing number of regions. To make sure we provide the very best service, we’re making the Wallet available for a select number of locations. We’re sorry if the Wallet isn’t yet available in your region but if you’d like to let us know that you’d like to have the Wallet available in your region in the future, do drop us a note here – it’ll help us with our future plans to help even more customers with their money.
Is the WorldRemit Wallet available on WorldRemit’s website?
The WorldRemit Wallet is currently available on WorldRemit’s smartphone app, both from Google Play and the App Store. If you’d like to see the Wallet available on our website, do get in touch through our Contact Us section and it’ll help inform our roadmap of new features and services.
What do I do if I change my telephone number?
If you need to change the telephone number associated to your WorldRemit Wallet you’ll need to telephone WorldRemit and we’ll update your account. Make sure you tell anyone who sent money to your original number though, as they’ll too need to update those details to make sure any future transaction of theirs to you makes its way to you.
What do I do if I lose my mobile phone?
Because your WorldRemit Wallet is part of the WorldRemit app, you’ll always need to login using your pin or password. But because your Wallet is linked to your mobile phone number, if you lose your mobile phone you need to get in contact with WorldRemit so we can disable your account to ensure your money remains safe. We can re-enable your WorldRemit account when either you have a new phone number, or if you have recovered your phone and are sure no one else had use of your mobile number.
To temporarily disable your account, please contact customer service by calling us on a phone number listed here. Once you have recovered your phone or have a new number, we can re-enable your account. We will require you to go through SMS verification again in order to confirm the number, and you will have access to your WorldRemit Wallet as normal.
How do I get in contact with WorldRemit about my Wallet?
You can visit our Contact Us page here.
How do I provide feedback to WorldRemit about the WorldRemit Wallet?
We’d love to hear from you about any feedback, comments or suggestions. Just visit our Contact Us page here.