The WorldRemit Wallet allows you and people you know to send, receive, and store money using the WorldRemit app. It’s convenient and safe to use and is available today on Android smartphones in Somaliland. We’ll be introducing it to other countries and platforms in the near future.
Where available, the Wallet allows you to send money locally or to anyone in over 150 countries. You can receive money locally or from over 50 countries. Storing money in the app is free, as are all local payments, including withdrawals from your Wallet. Funds are stored in US Dollar.
How to send to a WorldRemit Wallet
If you want to send money to someone who’ll benefit from the Wallet:
- Go to the WorldRemit website or app. Select that you want to send money to someone in Somaliland.
- Select the WorldRemit Wallet as your service on the calculator
- Choose how much you want to send
- Enter your recipient's mobile number. They will be able to access their funds by using the WorldRemit app available via Google Play
- Pay for your transfer. You will receive and confirmation email and both you and the person you’re sending to will get updates by SMS
Funds are transferred instantly. You can even send to someone who hasn’t yet signed up to the WorldRemit Wallet. If they have an Android smartphone in a country where the Wallet is available, they’ll be able to receive money using the Wallet. We’ll send them an SMS explaining how to access the funds. The WorldRemit Wallet is currently only available on Android, so please only send to family and friends who have an Android smartphone.
How to get the Wallet
Before you use the WorldRemit Wallet you’ll need to sign up.
- Go to Google Play and install the WorldRemit app
- Create your WorldRemit Wallet account by:
- Creating a password and PIN code
- Enter your required personal details. If you’ve already received an SMS saying that money has been sent to you by someone you know, you’ll need to sign up using the number that received the SMS.
- Enter the six-digit code we will then send you by SMS to verify your phone number
- Upload a photo from a photo ID (passport or local ID)
- Once we have confirmed your identity – you’ll be signed up to the WorldRemit Wallet and ready to go.
If someone has sent money to you by choosing the WorldRemit Wallet, you’ll need to register within 14 days to receive the money. We’ll return the money to the sender after this time.
Sending, receiving and storing
Once you’ve signed up, you can send and receive money locally and internationally to and from family and friends and hold funds in your WorldRemit Wallet on your phone. Money in your WorldRemit Wallet is held in US Dollars (USD).
You can log in to your WorldRemit Wallet at any time using your PIN code and view your balance and benefit from being able to send or receive money. Funds can be withdrawn at a time that suits you.
It’s simple and free. You can withdraw money through the WorldRemit pay out network, at any time. Depending on where you’re located, money can be moved for free to a local bank account, a mobile money account or withdrawn at a cash pick up agency. To withdraw funds:
- Go to the WorldRemit Wallet in the WorldRemit appon your Android smartphone
- Select the ‘Transfer’ below your balance and select ‘withdraw’ along with your preferred pay out option (ie how you want to receive that money)
- Select the amount you want to withdraw
- Complete any remaining information required to complete the withdrawal
- Confirm the withdrawal
- We’ll send you an SMS as soon as the money has been delivered into your mobile money account or bank account, or is available for collection as cash.
If you have any more questions about how to use WorldRemit Wallet, you'll find your answer here.