What is Alipay?
Alipay is part of the Alibaba group, and is the largest mobile payment platform in the world, with almost 900 million users worldwide. The Alipay app allows its users to store money in their account and conduct transactions from their mobile phone. WorldRemit has teamed up with Alipay to offer Alipay as a receive method, so you can easily and safely send money to friends and family in China.
How do I send money to an Alipay account?
- Select China as the country you want to send to in the dropdown list
- Select Alipay when it asks you how you want to send
- Enter the amount you want to send – our low fees and exchange rate will be clearly shown
Next, you'll be directed to another page to:
- Create an account if you don't have one (you will be asked for your details, including your address, email, and phone number)
- Enter your recipient's details – here, you can choose from a list of people you've already sent to, or add a new person by entering their details: name, address and Alipay ID (this will be the telephone number that your receiver has registered with Alipay)
- Pay. Choose how you want to pay – bank account, debit/credit card, Klarna, INTERAC, POLI or iDEAL (web) – then confirm the amount. (Payment methods vary by country).
As long as the person you are sending to has enabled their Alipay app to receive remittances, they should receive the amount you have sent within minutes. In cases where they have not yet activated their Alipay app for remittances, it might take up to 72 hours for them to receive it. They’ll need to activate their account in order for the transfer to be received. You and your recipient will both be alerted by SMS and email when the transaction is complete.
Is Alipay safe?
The Alipay app uses secure technology to encrypt and protect your data. Alipay is an online platform so you should still protect your personal information, as you would elsewhere on the internet. Do not share your Alipay login, username or passwords, and report any suspicious activity.
What if the person I want to send to doesn’t use Alipay?
As well as Alipay, we also offer other ways to send money to China.
Transfer to China UnionPay cards by the next working day.
- Send to debit cards only
- Your recipient's card number must be 16-19 digits long and begin with “62”
What if I want to send money elsewhere?
If Alipay isn’t available in the country you want to send to, there are other ways to send with WorldRemit, including:
Mobile money: an electronic wallet service that lets users store, send and receive money using their mobile phone. Find out more.
Cash pickup: send money that can be picked up almost instantly (in most countries) from cash pickup locations. Find out more.
Bank deposit: Send money directly to your recipient’s bank account. Find out more.
Airtime top up: send an airtime top up to add talk-time or data allowance to your recipient’s mobile phone. Find out more.