Send bank transfers to Colombia
See below for answers to your questions about sending money to Colombia via Bank Transfer.
Which banks can I send to in Colombia?
What type of bank accounts can I send to in Colombia?
You can send to checking / current, or savings accounts.
When will funds be credited to bank accounts in Colombia?
Within 24 hours. We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are credited.
Sometimes we may require further information to comply with our regulatory requirements (we will email you).
What currencies can I send to bank accounts in Colombia?
Colombian Peso (COP) only.
How much can I send to bank accounts in Colombia?
- The minimum you can send is USD 15 equivalent in COP.
- The maximum you can Bancolombia bank accounts is COP 4.800.000.
- The maximum you can send to other banks in Colombia is COP 15.000.000.
There may be lower limits depending on the country where you are sending from and the payment method used to fund the transfer. Please see the relevant section in Payments for more info.
Please note: Colombian regulations dictate that all remittances over a monthly cumulative amount of COP 1,911,600 will be subject to the 4x1000 tax, where 4 pesos of every 1000 past the cumulative amount will be collected in taxes at the payout location.
What information do I need from my recipient for bank transfers to Colombia?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full name. To avoid any delays, the recipient’s name should match the name on their bank statement exactly.
- Address. We need your recipient’s city.
- State name. We need the state/ department where your recipient lives.
- Account number. We need your recipient’s account number. Bancolombia accounts are 11 digits long.
- Account type. We need the account type. You can send to savings or regular checking accounts.
- Account must be enabled for international transfers
- Mobile number. We use this to send an SMS notification to your recipient informing them that their funds have been credited.
- Email (optional). We use this to send an email to your recipient with details of your transaction (e.g. in case they have issues receiving the SMS notifications).
- The recipient account must be enabled for international transfers. To do this, your recipient needs to fill out a form named Abono Automático. You can read more about this below.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transaction, it is difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so.
How do I enable my recipient’s bank account to accept international transfers in Colombia?
If you're sending to your own account in Colombia, Colombian regulations mean we'll need to email you a form to fill out. All you need to do is return your completed form and your photo ID to us. You can do this here.
Colombian regulations also mean that if you're sending to someone else, our local agent will need to call them for a few extra details.
Don't worry, you'll only need to do this the first time you send!