Send mobile money transfers to Kenya
See below for answers to your questions about sending money to Kenya via Mobile Money.
Which mobile money accounts can I send to in Kenya?
M-Pesa and Equitel mobile money accounts
The mobile money account must be (1) fully registered and (2) active.
When will funds be credited to mobile money accounts in Kenya?
We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are credited. We sometimes require further information from you before we can process the transfer in order to comply with our regulatory requirements. We will email you if this is the case.
What currencies can I send to mobile money accounts in Kenya?
Kenyan Shillings (KES) only.
How much can I send to mobile money accounts in Kenya?
- You can send a maximum of KES 150,000 per transfer to M-pesa accounts
- Your recipient’s M-Pesa mobile money account can only have a maximum balance of KES 100,000. Please ensure the account has sufficient capacity for your transaction to be processed successfully. Your recipient can do this by reducing the balance in their account.
- If you are sending to multiple recipients, your combined daily limit for all transfers cannot exceed KES 140,000 for M-pesa users - KES 1,000,000 for Equitel.
- You can send a minimum of KES 1
- You can send a maximum of 20 transactions over 30 days period
- You can send a maximum of USD 5,000 (or KES equivalent) over a 30 days period.
- You can send a maximum of KES 300,000 per transfer to Equitel accounts
- Equitel doesn't have any account limit at the moment
- If you are sending to multiple recipients over the Equitel network, the cumulative amount you can transfer within 24 hours cannot exceed KES 1,000,000.
What information do I need from my recipient to send to mobile money accounts in Kenya?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full name. To avoid any delays. The recipient’s name should match the name on their mobile account exactly.
- Address. We need your recipient’s city.
- Mobile Money account number:
- Fully registered and active M-Pesa or Equitel mobile money accounts only.
- Length: 9 digits in total (excluding country code).
- M-Pesa account numbers begin with 70, 71,72,79 & 74
- Equitel account number begin with 763, 764, 765
- Sending reason. Please indicate whether it is “family or friend support,” “purchase of services,” “property payment,” or “sending fund to self”.
- Contact mobile number. We use this number to send SMS notifications to your recipient when the funds have been credited. This may be different from the mobile money account number.
- Email (optional). We use this to send an email to your recipient with details of the transaction. This is particularly useful in case they have issues receiving the SMS notifications.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transaction, it is difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so
What fees does my recipient pay in Kenya
WorldRemit does not charge your recipient any additional fees for the mobile money transaction. However, some local operators may charge them a fee when they withdraw funds as cash. This depends on the mobile operator’s policy and is not determined by WorldRemit.