Send mobile money to Ethiopia
See below for answers to your questions about sending money to Ethiopia via Mobile Money.
Which mobile money accounts can I send to in Ethiopia?
You can send to any mobile number in Ethiopia.
The mobile number must be (1) active and (2) fully registered with CBE Birr.
When will funds be credited to be credited to mobile money accounts in Ethiopia?
Speed: Within 1 working day
We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are credited. We may sometimes require further information from you before we can process the transfer in order to comply with our regulatory requirements. We will email you if this is the case.
What currencies can I send to mobile money accounts in Ethiopia?
Ethiopian Birr (ETB) only.
How much can I send to mobile money accounts in Ethiopia?
- A maximum of ETB 6,000 per transfer.
- Your recipient’s CBE Birr account can only have a maximum balance of ETB 25,000,000 at any given moment. Please ensure that your recipient’s account has sufficient capacity for the transfer to be processed successfully. Your recipient can do this by reducing the balance in their account.
What information do I need from my recipient to send to mobile money accounts in Ethiopia?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full name. To avoid any delays, the recipient’s name should match the name registered on their mobile money account.
- Address. We need your recipient’s city.
- Mobile money account number:
- Mobile number that is active and registered with CBE Birr.
- Length: 9 digits in total (excluding country code).
- Contact mobile number. We use this number to send SMS notifications to your recipient when the funds have been credited. This can be different from the mobile money account number.
- Sending reason. Please indicate whether it is “family or friend support,” “purchase of services,” “property payment,” or “sending fund to self”.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transaction, it is difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so.
What fees does my recipient pay in Ethiopia?
WorldRemit does not charge your recipient any additional fees for the mobile money transaction.
However, some local operators may charge them a fee when they withdraw funds as cash. This depends on the mobile operator’s policy and is not determined by WorldRemit.