At WorldRemit, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, handling your information in an open and transparent manner, and keeping your information secure.
If you don't want to read all the details. Here are the highlights that you may really wish to know:
- WorldRemit is an online payments business that helps its customers transfer money globally.
- Where appropriate we share your personal information with our affiliates, partners and other companies. Upon request or where we are legally obliged, we may share your information with public agencies.
- We also collect from You information in relation to other people (for example, details of the recipients of Your money transfers). In providing this information you confirm to us that you have their permission to do so.
- We use some third parties to process your personal information on our behalf to perform our services for you, and due to the international nature of our business some of them are based outside your country.
- You have several rights over your personal information, and the manner in which you can exercise those rights are contained in this Policy.
- We will send you direct Marketing if we are allowed to do so. We do this to encourage you to use our services and send you offers or promotions that may interest you. You can ask us to stop sending you marketing information at any time. Details of how to unsubscribe will be included on each email that we send you. Alternatively, send us an email to with “URGENT - UNSUBSCRIBE REQUEST” in the subject line and the email address that you wish to be removed within the email.
- We also use your personal information to display online adverts and Marketing relating to our services on our website, online media channels or by sending you push notifications if you use our mobile app.
- We do not intentionally use children’s information (our website and mobile application are not intended for children).
Who we are?
This website is operated and provided by WorldRemit Ltd ("WorldRemit", "we", "us", "our") having its registered office at 62 Buckingham Gate, London, SW1E 6AJ. If you reside in a country where we provide our services and are a user of our website https://www.worldremit.com/ (“our website”, “our site”) and/or of our mobile applications (the “Mobile App”), we are the responsible authority for the collection, processing and use of your personal information. In this Policy, references to "You" and "Your" are references to a user of our website and/or of our Mobile Apps.
To help clarify our meaning, we have used certain capitalised terms in this Policy. These terms and their meaning are:
“Data Protection Authority” means the statutory or regulatory body established in Your country that is given the responsibility for investigating, regulating and dealing with matters relating to the use of personal information.
“Marketing” means any action or advertisement or promotion or marketing material like surveys, vouchers, research and events. This list is not exhaustive.
“Services” means WorldRemit Money Transfer Service; WorldRemit Digital Money Account; Airtime Top Up; and such other services or products that we may introduce from time to time.
The personal information we collect about you
We may collect, record and use information about You in physical and electronic form and will hold and use this information as set out in this Policy.
The personal information we collect and use may include, amongst other things:
- Your name;
- Your contact information such as Your email address, postal address and telephone number or any telephone number used to call us;
- Your demographic information such as age, education, gender, and interests;
- evidence of Your identity (for example passport information);
- unique identifiers such as Your username, account number and password;
- Your profiles and postings on any other social media applications and services that we provide or that You make available to us;
- Your payment details and other financial data (for example, Your bank or payment method provider’s name and Your account number and sort code); and
- information about Your visit to our website, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time), length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page.
We also collect from You information in relation to other people (for example, details of the sender of Your money transfers), where You provide us with such information. In providing this information you confirm to us that you have obtained all necessary permissions from them to the reasonable use of their information for the purposes and in the manner described in this Policy, or are otherwise permitted to give us this information on their behalf. Please also ensure that those other people are aware of this notice and that the provisions of this notice are clearly communicated to them.
How we collect your personal information
Information You give to us when You use our services. If You use our services You will need to provide certain information including Your name, address and card number, as well as the name and other details of the sender of the money transfers that you are receiving or instructing us to carry out. This information must be complete and accurate, and if not we may have to take additional steps to complete the transaction.
Other information You give to us. This is information about You that You give us by filling in forms on our website (for example, the ‘contact us’ section) or when you communicate with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. It includes, for example, information You provide when You register on the website for us to contact You, when You inquire about any of our Services, when You sign up to receive notifications, and when You report a problem with our website. The information You give us may include, among other data, Your name and email address.
Social Media. Depending on Your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, You might give us permission to access information from those accounts or services.
Other Sources. We may receive information about You from other sources, including publicly available databases and combine this data with information we already have about You. This helps us to update, expand and analyse our records and provide services that may be of interest to You.
Information we collect about You.
- Like most websites, we use "cookies" to help us make our site – and the way You use it – better. Cookies mean that a website will remember You. They are small text files that websites transfer to Your computer (or phone / tablet). They improve website use and speed – for example by automatically filling Your name and address in text fields. Please see our Politique relative à l'utilisation des cookies for further information.
- Log Files. In addition, with regard to each of Your visits to our site, we will automatically collect certain information (for example, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data). We may combine this automatically- collected log information with other information we collect about You.
- Mobile App. When You download our Mobile App, in addition to the information mentioned above we:
- automatically collect information on the type of device You use, operating system version, and system and performance information. We may send You push notifications from time-to-time in order to update You about events or promotions that we may be running. If You no longer wish to receive these types of communications, You may turn them off at the device level. To ensure You receive proper notifications, we will need to collect certain information about Your device such as operating system and user identification information;
- may collect Your location-based information for the purpose of locating a place that You may be searching for in Your area. We will only share this information with our mapping provider for the sole purpose of providing You with this service. Your geo-location data may be shared with third parties. You may opt-out of location-based services at any time by editing the setting at the device level or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org; and
- may use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our Mobile Software on Your device. This software may record information such as how often You use the Mobile App, the events that occur within it, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the Mobile App was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personal information You submit within the Mobile App.
How we use your personal information
Our primary purpose in collecting user information is to provide You with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customised experience and to provide the services You have requested from us. We may also use the information that You have provided to ensure that the content on our site is presented in the most effective manner for You and Your computer or device.
We use Your information for the following specific purposes:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between You and us or from applicable law, and to provide You with the Services in accordance with our terms and conditions and with this Policy;
- to register You with a WorldRemit account;
- to fulfil Your Transaction / (Airtime Top Up) Request;
- to ask for your consent to process your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate with you. When you consent to our processing of your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop processing your information for that purpose;
- to send You confirmations or other notifications;
- to notify You about temporary or permanent changes to our services or other service-related messages;
- to assist you where online applications are not completed;
- to prevent fraud, money laundering, and any other illegal activity in order to protect the security of our customers, WorldRemit Group, and others;
- to fulfill any legal obligation to collect, process and share your information;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for You and for Your computer;
- to promote our business;
- to send You Marketing communications, provided that You have given us Your contact details in the course of your use of our products or services and that you do not decide to opt out from this type of communications;
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, profiling and segmentation analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site, Mobile App and our services safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to You and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to You;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to You and other users of our site about services that may interest You or them;
- to train, monitor and assess the effectiveness of the manner in which we provide the Services to You;
- to consider and investigate any concerns or complaints you may have; and
- to display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our website in addition to other endorsements, where You have agreed with a third-party review site that we may do so. If You wish to update or delete Your testimonial, contact us at
We must have a legal reason before we use Your information for any of the specific purposes mentioned above. Our legal reasons are:
- It is necessary for entering into or performing a contract with you;
- You have given us your consent;
- It is required to comply with our legal obligations;
- It is in our legitimate interests to do so, provided your rights do not override those interests; and
- We believe it is in your vital interest to share your personal details.
When you provide us with your personal information, we will request for your consent to receiving direct Marketing information from us. We give you a choice to ‘opt in’ or ‘opt out’ of receiving Marketing communications. If you ‘opt in’, we will send you Marketing communications by email, SMS or by push notification to keep you informed of new products, promotions and other information that we believe may interest you. You can ask us to stop sending you Marketing information by contacting us at any time. You also have the option of ‘unsubscribing from our mailing list for Marketing communications, alerts and updates at any time thereby disabling any further Marketing email communication from being sent to you.
Details of how to unsubscribe will be included on each electronic mailing we send you. Alternatively, simply send an email to email@example.com with “URGENT - UNSUBSCRIBE REQUEST” in the subject line and the email address that you wish to be removed within the email. Please note that if you request we stop sending you Marketing messages, we may continue to send you service and administrative communications (such as transfer updates and other important or transactional information).
Who we might share your personal information with
Your personal information is very important to us. However there are circumstances where it is necessary for us to share your information for legitimate business or legal purposes (including operating our site and our Mobile App, and providing services to you). In addition, we may disclose your personal information to:
- Our affiliates We share your information with our affiliates and other companies within the WorldRemit group of companies.
- Third party processors which include people with whom we do business or who provides services to us. If we engage a third party processor to process your information, the Processor will be subject to binding contractual obligations to: only use the personal information in accordance with our prior written instructions; and use measures to protect the confidentiality and security of the personal information, together with any additional requirements. We may disclose data to provide our services, to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, liaise with judicial or regulatory authorities where required under applicable law, and protect our rights and property.
- Fraud Prevention Agencies Where we have a good reason to suspect fraud, money laundering, counter terrorist financing or any other illegal activity, we can upon request or where legally obliged share your personal information with crime prevention agencies and other third parties for the purpose of detecting, preventing or reporting crime or for actual or suspected breach of any applicable law or regulation. These third parties may include business partners and companies that provide services to us, law enforcement bodies, regulatory and supervisory authorities, providers of fraud prevention and detection services. Please note, we may suspend activity on your account or any transaction, refuse access to your account or cancel any transaction you may want to make, if we think there is a risk of any illegal activity.
- Public Agencies We release accounts or other personal information when we consider it appropriate to comply with the law, to enforce our Terms and Conditions and any other agreement to protect the rights, property, or safety of WorldRemit, our employees, customers, our business partners and the public. In these circumstances, we will only provide them with the information they require to perform their function.
- Research companies We may share personal information in a secure way to allow research companies and feedback providers to contact you directly on our behalf to get your opinions on or refuse to take part in the research or surveys.
Links to Other Sites
Transfer and storing of your personal information
Due to the international nature of our business, we may need to transfer your personal information to other WorldRemit entities, to other third parties as noted in the “Who we might share your information with” section of this policy. For this reason, we may transfer your personal information to other countries that may have different laws and data protection compliance requirements to those that apply in the country in which you are located. By submitting your personal information, you agree to this transfer, storing and processing.
We will take all reasonably necessary steps to ensure your information is treated securely. We also ensure we have standard contractual clauses or binding corporate rules in place with third parties when we share information outside the European Economic Area.
How we keep your personal information secure
We have implemented appropriate technical and organisational security measures designed to protect your personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure, unauthorised access, and other unlawful or unauthorised forms of Processing, in accordance with applicable law.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet (including by email) is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect Your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of Your data transmitted to our site; and any transmission is at Your own risk. Once we have received Your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How long will we keep your personal information for
We take every reasonable step to ensure that your personal information is only retained for as long as it is required for the purposes set out in this Policy. Therefore, we will only keep the information we collect about You for as long as required for the purposes set out above, or as required to comply with any legal or regulatory obligations to which we are subject. This will involve us regularly reviewing our files to check that information is accurate, up-to-date and still required.
The period for which we will retain information about You will vary depending on the type of information and the purposes that we use it for. Generally, unless applicable law or our legal and regulatory obligations requires a longer retention period, we will keep our records for at least seven years after you have terminated your relationship with us.
Subject to applicable law in your country, you may have a number of rights regarding our processing of your relevant personal information, including:
- the right not to provide your personal information to us (however, please note that we may be unable to provide you with the full benefit of our site, our Mobile App, or our services, if you do not provide us with your personal information);
- the right to request access to your personal information, together with information regarding the nature, Processing and disclosure of those personal information;
- the right to request for the correction of any inaccuracies in your personal information;
- the right to request for the erasure of your personal information. This is also known as the right to be forgotten. We will keep a note of your name if you ask for your personal information to be erased;
- the right that we restrict our use of your personal information;
- the right to have certain personal information transferred to another Controller, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, to the extent applicable;
- where we use your personal information on the basis of your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent (noting that such withdrawal does not affect the lawfulness of any processing performed prior to the date on which we receive notice of such withdrawal, and does not prevent the processing of your personal information in reliance upon any other available legal basis); and
- the right to lodge complaints with a Data Protection Authority regarding the use of your personal information by us or on our behalf.
We may require proof of your identity before we can give effect to these rights. You should also be aware that some of these rights are qualified and not absolute; therefore exemptions or limitations may apply. For example, we can refuse to provide information if fulfilling your request would reveal the personal information about another person, or if you request that we delete information which we are required to retain by law, have compelling legitimate interests to keep, or need access to fulfil our legal obligations.
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to enforce any of these rights. We will comply with our legal obligations as regards Your rights as a data subject.
Any request for access to Your personal information must be in writing and we will endeavour to respond within a reasonable period and in any event within one month (three months for complex or numerous requests). We reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee (reflecting the costs of providing the information) or to refuse to respond where requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive: in this case, we will explain the situation to You and we will inform You about Your rights.
Automated decision making and profiling
In certain circumstances we may use automated decision making, including profiling, for example when it is in our legitimate interests to do so, or where we have a right to do so because it is necessary for us to enter into, and perform, a contract with you. We also use profiling to enable us to give you the best service across the WorldRemit Group including specific marketing which we believe you will be interested in.
You have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which has legal effects for you or affects you in any other significant way. If you are seeking to exercise this right, please contact us at email@example.com.
Cookies and similar technologies
We will amend or revise this Policy regularly and at any time without notice to reflect changes in our processing of personal information, or changes in applicable law. We encourage you to read this Policy carefully, and to regularly check this page to review any changes we might make to the terms of this Policy.
Questions, comments and requests regarding your personal information and our Policy are welcome and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can send it by post addressed to the:
Data Protection Officer:
62 Buckingham Gate
London, SW1E 6AJ
You may also use these contact details if You wish to make a complaint to us relating to Your privacy.
If You have any concerns about our use of Your information, You also have the right to make a complaint to your Data Protection Authority. Please contact us on email@example.com to request for details of the Data Protection Authority for your country.