WorldRemit Expands Mobile Money Remittances to Papua New Guinea
The ‘WhatsApp of Money’ arrives in Papua New Guinea
London, UK,19 November 2015: Money transfer service WorldRemit today launches instant remittances to mobiles in Papua New Guinea. Customers in 50 countries can now send money to Digicel Mobile Money wallets – just like an instant message.
Funds sent to Digicel Mobile Money wallets can be immediately used to pay bills such as electricity or insurance, top-up airtime, make purchases in stores or online, or simply to store for future use.
The Digicel Mobile Money wallet is supported by the Pacific Financial Inclusion Programme. It aims in particular to support hundreds of thousands of disadvantaged women and people living in rural areas.
Mobile penetration in Papua New Guinea is estimated to be around 70%, significantly higher than the share of people with access to formal financial services, which is estimated at around 15-30% of the population. 
Alix Murphy, senior mobile analyst at WorldRemit comments: “Remittances to Mobile Money are a game changer – no matter where you live, you can now receive money from abroad in an instant on your Digicel Mobile wallet.
At WorldRemit, we realise how Mobile Money is already transforming access to financial services in Papua New Guinea: Today, we are launching a service that will further drive this transformation.”
 GSMA - Mobile Financial Services Report 2014, March 2015
Note to editors
- WorldRemit’s logo is here
- Headshot of Alix Murphy is here
- WorldRemit currently enables around 300,000 transactions per month
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money.
- It’s easy – just open the app or visit the website – no more agents.
- Transfers to most countries are instant – send money like an instant message.
- More ways to receive (Mobile Money, bank transfer, cash pickup, and mobile airtime top-up).
- Available in 50 countries and 120+ destinations.
- WorldRemit raised $140m from Accel Partners and TCV – early backers of Facebook, Spotify and Dropbox.
WorldRemit’s global headquarters are in London, UK with regional offices in USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Read more: About us
Media contact: [email protected]