Bill Payment FAQs
What is a bill payment?
A Bill Payment allows you to make a payment directly to gas, water, electricity, television and other types of companies, on behalf of yourself or someone else.
What are the benefits of bill payments?
You can save time and money by paying your bills directly to the billing company. Our customers have expressed to us that they often use WorldRemit to pay bills abroad, but in the past they would pay a bill by sending money to an individual, who would then pay the billing company.
By using WorldRemit Bill Payments, you can ensure that your money goes directly towards paying your bill, and you can save your friends and family the inconvenience of having to pay the bill themselves.
Who are bill payments for?
If you regularly send money abroad to pay a bill on behalf of yourself, a family member, a friend or someone else, Bill Payments is for you.
How do I send a bill payment?
If you’re new to WorldRemit and using the app, you should:
- Download the app
- Sign up for a WorldRemit account
- Select ‘send to someone new’ in the homescreen
- Choose the country you would like to send to
- If you’ve chosen a country with bill payments enabled, you’ll be presented with the option to pay a bill or the option to send money; choose to pay a bill
- You’ll now be presented with a list of available billers for the country you’ve chosen; select the correct biller
- You’ll be asked to provide the account references for the biller you’ve selected; please carefully enter these references and ensure they are correct
- If you’ve correctly entered your account references, you’ll see the amount that’s due on your bill, the fee to pay the bill, and the exchange rate; if the amount due is correct and you wish to proceed, you can confirm your acceptance
- You’ll be asked to provide the name and mobile number of the person whom you are paying the bill on behalf of; if this is you, please enter your own information
- You will be presented with a summary of your transfer, and will be asked to confirm that everything is correct; please double check all of the information you’ve entered
- You’ll be asked to choose a payment method, after which you’ll be asked to provide your payment information to complete the transaction
- Once you’ve completed your payment, you’ll see a confirmation screen; you’ll also receive a confirmation email
If you already have a WorldRemit account, you can follow steps 3-12 to create a new bill payment.
How do WorldRemit bill payments work?
WorldRemit has established connections with billers all over the world. When you instruct us to pay a bill and make a payment to WorldRemit, we convert your money to local currency and pay your billing company.
Why hasn’t my bill payment shown up in my account with the biller?
Please check the settlement days in your transaction status, it often takes several business days for the biller to process our payment. If the number of days to process the payment exceeds the settlement days you see in the transaction status, you should contact us here.
Can I cancel a bill payment?
Once a bill payment is complete, it can no longer be cancelled.
What’s the difference between a WorldRemit bill payment and a normal money transfer?
Bill Payments require you to provide account references that are specified by the billing company. These can change depending on which billing company you’re paying, but are usually an account number and the mobile number on the billing account. Once you’ve selected your biller we’ll let you know which references your biller requires.
Why can't I send a bill payment to my country?
We currently only support bill payments in certain countries. If you’d like to see bill payments in a country that’s relevant to you, you can let us know here.
I was informed by WorldRemit’s app or website that my bill is past its due date. What do I do?
If you have been informed by WorldRemit that your bill is past due and cannot be processed, please contact the billing company directly.
I was informed by WorldRemit’s app or website that my account is invalid. What do I do?
If you have been informed by WorldRemit that your account is invalid, please contact the billing company directly. This generally means that the account has been suspended or closed.
I received the error ‘Biller unavailable’. What does that mean?
This error means that we haven’t been able to contact the billing company, due to a problem on the billing company’s end. We cannot progress the payment any further in this situation. Unfortunately, we aren’t able to know when the biller will be available again, so we suggest that you retry immediately, and then again every few hours.
I received a ‘Something went wrong’ error. What does that mean?
‘Something went wrong’ means there was a technical error in WorldRemit’s systems. No transaction has been created and we would suggest that you try again. If you continue to receive this error, please contact our Customer Service team.
My bill payment is in ‘processing’ status. What does that mean?
The ‘processing’ status in the app or on the website means that WorldRemit is processing your payment. Once we have completed processing your payment and have successfully paid the biller, your payment’s status will be ‘paid’.
How do I get in contact with WorldRemit about bill payments?
You can contact our customer service team by email or by phone. You can find their contact information here.
How do I provide feedback to WorldRemit about the bill payment service?
We’d love to hear from you about any feedback, comments or suggestions. Just visit our Contact Us page.