Send money to Vodacom M-Pesa accounts in Tanzania
What is M-Pesa Tanzania?
M-Pesa Tanzania is service offered by Vodacom that allows the transfer of electronic mobile money from person to person and business to via a mobile phone. It’s available to any Vodacom customer, registered with M-Pesa and above 18 years of age. With an M-Pesa account, users can transfer cash and shop for products and services. They can also withdraw cash by visiting an agent (typically in a corner shop), or transfer it to others from their phone. This makes it a quick, safe and simple way to make payments and handle money.
Key facts about M-Pesa
- M-Pesa is one of the innovative tools that’s been born out of a collaboration of telecommunications and banking sectors in East Africa,
- It was launched in Kenya and is now used in 9 countries, including India and Ghana.
- New technology in the financial sector has made it possible for financial services and products, like M-Pesa, to be accessible at small costs.
- M-Pesa makes it possible for unbanked people to pay for and receive goods and services using a mobile phone instead of utilizing a brick-and-mortar bank.
How does M-Pesa Tanzania work?
M-Pesa is a virtual banking system (mobile money service) that offers transaction services through a SIM card on a mobile phone. In Tanzania this must be with a Vodacom SIM card. The SIM card is inserted into the card slot of the mobile device and users can receive and store money, deposit and withdraw money, as well as make payments and transfer money to vendors and family members.
It’s particularly useful to users who have no bank accounts and live in remote rural areas. They are able to access the numerous M-Pesa outlets distributed across the country. Money that needs to be deposited and stored is given to the M-Pesa Agent, who transfers the amount in digital form to their M-Pesa account that sits on their phone. Money can be withdrawn from the agent, too.
How do I open a M-PESA account?
Once you buy a Vodacom line and register it, you’ll automatically be registered to M-Pesa. Or, if you’re an existing unregistered customer you can visit a Vodacom shop with a valid Identity Document – National ID (including Zanzibar ID), passport, voter ID or driving license – to complete the electronic registration process. Once registered, you’ll be prompted to activate the M-Pesa account by changing the system-generated start key PIN to personalised PIN.
To activate your account:
- Dial *150*00# ok
- Select 1 Activate or 2 Wezesha
- Enter start key PIN
- Enter new PIN
- Re-enter new PIN
- Enter date of birth
You’ll receive an SMS confirmation once your account has been activated.
How to send money to M-Pesa in Tanzania
You can send a money transfer to M-Pesa using any device. The transfer can be paid for using a debit or credit card and the funds will usually be credited in within minutes. Just follow these simple steps:
- Go the calculator at the top of this page and make sure Tanzania is the chosen country
- You’ll be guided to the Tanzania home page.
- Click the ‘Mobile Money’ as the preferred service
- Enter the amount you want to send
- Log in or create an account if you haven’t already
- Select someone you’ve sent to before or add the details of a new recipient (we’ll need their mobile money account number)
- Pay online
- We’ll send you and your recipient SMS and email notifications when the funds have been credited
Why use M-Pesa to send money to Tanzania?
- Money is added within minutes to M-Pesa accounts once payment is approved.
- Your recipients don’t have to carry large amounts of cash with them, which can be unsafe.
- There’s no need for your recipient to travel to a pickup location, they will have the money delivered right to their phone. It couldn’t be easier!
What are M-PESA’s charges?
|Value (Tshs)||Customer tariff (Tshs)|
|From||To||Sending money to registered customers / partner networks/partner countries||Sending money to unregistered customers||Withdrawing cash at agents/ATMs|
|Over Tsh 1,500,000||5,000||N/A||8,000|
The information above was valid and correct on 12/09/2019 at 09:46 BST. For the latest and most up to date fees from M-Pesa, you can check their official site.
What do you need to send to M-Pesa accounts?
- Check that your recipient already has a Vodacom M-Pesa account.
- Check that you have your recipient's Vodacom M-Pesa number.
Select the service ‘Mobile Money’ and enter the amount you’d like to send.
Is it safe to send money to Tanzania via M-Pesa?
Yes. Money that’s transferred to family or friends in Tanzania via M-Pesa is stored safely in a ring-fenced account, also known as a trust account. This account is linked to the mobile phone of each customer. A central platform also securely tracks the value of an individual’s account. That means the money will still be in their M-Pesa account, even if the phone or SIM card is lost.
What are the benefits of M-Pesa?
Sending money to Tanzania via M-Pesa is a low-cost, fast and safe way to pay, transfer, receive and store money. M-Pesa works digitally and in real time, which means your friends or family living, working or travelling in Tanzania will receive the money much more quickly than a traditional bank transfer. Every transaction is also protected and signed with a PIN, which helps to keep the whole process secure.
There are also no service charges on an M-Pesa account. Instead, the user pays on a pay-as-you-go basis every time they perform a transaction. There’s also no minimum amount that can be held in an M-Pesa account, so it remains open even when it’s empty.
Other ways to send money with WorldRemit
Plus, you can send money via:
- Cash pickup – send money for pick up from a choice of locations
- Bank deposits – transfers to the People’s Bank of Zanzibar
- Airtime top up – top up family and friends’ phones