“It’s very good, it is really great, because … you will be able to have access to clean light”.
Felix Ogutu is 36 and lives with his wife and two small children about 30km outside the port city of Kisumu in western Kenya. Like around 2/3 of homes across sub-Saharan Africa, he has no mains electricity.
“Depending on paraffin to light homes was a bit exorbitant and difficult because it is generating some fumes, which are hazardous to health as well as not friendly to the environment,” he says.
The United Nations estimates around 4.3m people die prematurely each year due to indoor pollution caused by cooking fires and lighting.