What is ZAAD?
ZAAD is a mobile money service that was launched in Somaliland in 2009 by mobile operator, Telesom. In 2018, roughly one quarter of the nation’s population were using it. Today mobile money is key in Somaliland as few commercial banks really operate there and transporting physical cash over rough roads is time-consuming. ZAAD enables all kinds of money payment transactions, including transfer, purchases, fee payment, salary/wages payment and cash storage.
The service is highly secure and has different security layers. Users can access their accounts with security pin number, and they can send money to anywhere in the world, 24/7.
How to use ZAAD
With a ZAAD mobile money account you can:
- send money to your family and friends
- receive money
- make cash deposits
- store money – though there is a limit of USD 5,000
- pay utility bills
- pay for goods
- make payroll payments
- sending Money International money transfer through Taaj express
But first you must register for a ZAAD mobile money account.
How to register for a ZAAD mobile money account
- Visit any Telesom sales office for registration
- Take your ID/passport with you
- Register for free
Please note that your telephone number and SIM card will not be changed
How to send money online to ZAAD mobile money accounts
It’s fast, simple and secure to send money online to ZAAD mobile money accounts with WorldRemit. All you need do is:
- Choose the ‘Mobile Money’ service from the ‘Send To’ box on this page.
- Enter the amount of money you want to send – the exchange rate and low fee will be shown upfront
- Provide your recipient’s full name (as shown on their ID), mobile money account number, phone number, address and email (optional)
- Pay online
You and your recipient will receive an SMS notification once the transfer is complete
What is the WorldRemit Wallet?
The WorldRemit Wallet is a convenient and secure feature of the app. It’s a digital wallet that allows you to store, send, or receive money securely. It’s also multi-currency, British Pounds and US Dollars, so you can open one or two currency accounts depending on your requirements. At present the WorldRemit Wallet is available in Somaliland and a few other countries around the world.
How to use the WorldRemit Wallet
Once you have activated your Wallet you can receive money in British Pounds and/or US Dollars. We’ll process the money sent to you, you needn’t do anything – it’s as simple as that and free of charge.
It takes just a few taps to send money to a new or existing recipient via bank transfer, cash pickup or mobile money – depending where you’re sending. For selected countries the WorldRemit Wallet will also be available as a pay-out option.
To withdraw money from your Wallet, simply use one of our pay-out networks. Depending on your region, money can be withdrawn to a local bank account, to a mobile money account or collected as cash from a cash pickup location. Plus, you can withdraw as much, or as little, of your total as you like.
You can safely store money in US Dollars and British Pounds. Each currency is available by opening a Currency Account within your WorldRemit Wallet. You can choose to open one or two currency accounts, as you can only have one currency account per currency.
You can also only hold up to $10.000 in your WorldRemit Wallet. This can be in any combination between the one or two currency accounts you may hold within your WorldRemit Wallet.
How to send to a WorldRemit Wallet if you don't have one
You don’t need to have a WorldRemit Wallet in order to send money to someone that has one. Here’s how to:
- Choose the ‘WorldRemit Wallet’ service from the ‘Send To’ box on this page.
- Enter the amount you want to send – our low fees and exchange rate will be clearly shown
- Complete your recipient details including the recipient's mobile number – this is their WorldRemit Wallet number
- Pay for your transfer.
Usually your money will arrive into your recipient’s WorldRemit Wallet instantly – and we’ll send both of you an SMS and email as soon as it has.