Our guide to using the WorldRemit Wallet - how you can register, how you can use the Wallet and more.
- How do I sign up for a WorldRemit Wallet?
- Someone sent money to my WorldRemit Wallet, how do I access it?
- What is SMS verification and how do I complete it?
- Why do I need to supply identification?
- I've uploaded my ID, why is my Wallet not activated yet?
- How do I withdraw money from WorldRemit Wallet?
- What currencies can I have a WorldRemit Wallet in?
- What are the fees for using the WorldRemit Wallet?
- What do I do if I lose my mobile phone?
- Can I sign up to the WorldRemit Wallet if I already have an account?
How do I sign up for a WorldRemit Wallet?
- The Wallet is currently available in Somaliland and available on Android mobile devices. Search for and install the WorldRemit app and create an account. This involves choosing a password and PIN code and entering some personal information to help us confirm your identity and comply with local laws.
- After completing step 1, an SMS containing a 6 digit code will be sent to you. Please enter this 6 digit code into the app so we can verify your phone number.
- Upload a photo of your photo ID (passport or local ID card). This is to enable us to conduct “Know Your Customer” compliance checks as required under local regulations.
- Once we've confirmed your identity, you will have successfully set up your WorldRemit Wallet. You can easily and quickly log-in at any time using your PIN code to view your balance and Wallet transaction history, as well as send or receive payments.
Please note: If a transaction has already been sent to you and you have not yet registered a WorldRemit Wallet account, you will have 14 days to register your wallet before the transaction is cancelled.
Someone sent money to my WorldRemit Wallet, how do I access it?
To access money sent to you via the WorldRemit Wallet, visit the Google Play Store and install the WorldRemit Android App. Then sign up to the service by following the steps explained. Make sure you sign up with the mobile number that received the SMS notifying you that money is waiting for you. Once you are successfully registered, you will be able to access your money in the Wallet.
What is SMS verification and how do I complete it?
Because we link your unique mobile number to your WorldRemit Wallet, we need to verify your mobile number so we can ensure that money is always delivered to the right person. This means that only one mobile number can be associated with one WorldRemit Wallet and cannot be shared between 2 different accounts.
On signing up to the WorldRemit Wallet, we will send you a text message with a 6-digit code which you must enter in the app when prompted. If you don't enter the text message after 2 minutes, you will get a phone call with an automated message telling you the number.
Why do I need to supply identification?
It is important to keep your money safe. By asking for official identification, we are able to verify that people sending money are who they say they are. We are also required by law to carry out “Know Your Customer” compliance checks. Please refer to the ID verification page for more details.
I've uploaded my ID, why is my Wallet not activated yet?
We’re usually able to verify your ID document within 15 minutes, but at certain busy periods this may take a bit longer. We will always endeavour to come back to you within 1-2 hours at most. If for any reason we are unable to verify your ID document (e.g. if the quality of the ID is too low/ blurred), we may ask you to re-upload it.
How do I withdraw money from WorldRemit Wallet?
You can withdraw money from your WorldRemit Wallet by using the WorldRemit pay-out network at any time. Withdrawing money from your WorldRemit Wallet is free.
- Select the ‘Transfer’ button below your balance and choose to withdraw using your preferred pay-out option (e.g. options typically include cash pickup, bank transfer or mobile money transfers etc).
- Select the amount you want to withdraw. If the withdrawal is offered in a different currency to your wallet balance, you will see the amount you are going to withdraw in both currencies. For example, if your wallet balance is in USD, but the pay-out option which you have chosen (e.g. cash pickup) is in a local currency, then the amount you are withdrawing will be shown in both currencies.
- Fill in any remaining information required to complete the withdrawal and press “confirm” (e.g. if you have chosen to transfer your local mobile money account, then you will need to enter your mobile money account details so we can complete the transfer for you).
- You will be notified by email and SMS as soon as the money has been delivered into your mobile money account or bank account or is when it is available for collection as cash. A record of the money transfer will appear in your Wallet transaction history list.
What currencies can I have a WorldRemit Wallet in?
At the moment, we only offer the WorldRemit Wallet in USD, but we will be adding other currencies soon.
What are the fees for using the WorldRemit Wallet?
It’s free to download the WorldRemit app, and to hold funds in the Wallet. Receiving, withdrawing and sending money in the Wallet currency is also free, while sending money from one currency to another, or sending internationally comes at a competitive price. Any cost associated to a transfer is clearly displayed in the app at the time of the transaction.
What do I do if I lose my mobile phone?
Because your WorldRemit Wallet is part of the WorldRemit app, you’ll always need to login using your pin or password. But because your Wallet is linked to your mobile phone number, if you lose your mobile phone we will freeze your account to ensure your money remains safe. We can re-enable your WorldRemit Wallet when either you have a new phone number, or if you have recovered your phone and are sure no one else has use of your mobile number, we can re-activate your account.
To temporarily freeze your account, please contact customer service by calling us on a phone number listed here. Once you have a new number, we can re-enable your account. We will require you to go through SMS verification again in order to confirm the number, and you will have access to your WorldRemit Wallet as normal.
Can I sign up to the WorldRemit Wallet if I already have an account?
Yes. For those countries where the Wallet is available, you’ll see in the app you’ll need to complete the verification process by completing the SMS verification and uploading a copy of a photo ID. You’re then ready to go!