Machine Learning Team Leader
Who are we?
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money abroad. We’ve taken something complicated and made it simple. Tap the WorldRemit App or click on our website and your international transfer is made – to a bank account, cash pickup, Mobile Money, or airtime top-up. Founded in 2010, we send international remittances from 50 countries to more than 150 countries and we continue to expand our footprint.
Using WorldRemit is easy because we do the hard bit, connecting hundreds of banks, money agents, mobile operators and payment systems around the world. These were never designed to work together, but WorldRemit makes it happen.
WorldRemit has grown on average by 50% year on year and is now processing over £3bn of remittances on an annualised basis. We have raised c.$370 million in funding, currently employ over 800 employees and have offices in London, USA, Philippines, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong and other locations.
The journey is just beginning. We believe in faster, simpler, more accessible money transfers. That means building better products and services for our customers.
Changing the world isn’t easy – so we only hire the most talented people. You need to think differently, believe in new solutions to old problems, and have the drive to make them happen. We aim to attract, retain and develop people that can bring to life our values:
You can learn more about our culture and how we work by watching this video on our Careers page
About the Role
You are an inspirational role model responsible for leading, coaching and mentoring engineers in a self-organising, cross-skilled team environment. Acting as a servant/leader, you support and empower your team to deliver high quality solutions at WorldRemit, ensuring key decisions on technical approach and delivery are appropriate, timely, communicated and agreed with the Engineering group and Business Stakeholders.
We believe data and machine learning is key to help us provide an excellent customer experience. From offering dynamic user journeys to helping to automate manual decisions, there is a machine-learning gap at virtually every level of our organisation.
As a Machine Learning Team Leader, you are responsible for conception, hands-on execution and end-to-end delivery of multiple concurrent cross-functional machine learning projects. You will work across teams in the business to identify new opportunities and provide a long-term vision to apply machine learning and statistical algorithms to solve business problems. In addition, you will be leveraging your Machine Learning and Software Engineering expertise to provide mentorship and support to existing team members.
- Providing technical and people leadership for a team of engineers, fostering a culture of support and collaboration in the team and across the broader product-engineering organisation
- Hands-on participation in Engineering tasks such as coding, peer reviews, building automation tests
- Acting as initial point of contact for your team and facilitating the inclusion of your engineers as required
- Working closely with Product Managers to align on your team’s capacity
- Working closely with Scrum Masters to build engagement, focus, responsibility and motivation in the team
- Working closely with Architects to discuss and agree solutions
- Facilitating continuous improvement in the team by reviewing performance metrics and ensuring improvements identified from retrospectives are actioned
- Communicating technical vision, roadmap, progress and knowledge in Machine Learning via presentations and digital channels, including the publication of blogs
- Helping others to reach agreement on solutions for complex challenges
- Assisting the Head of Engineering with performance reviews and responsible for personal development by holding regular 1:1s with team members
- Hiring and retaining top engineering talent; fostering a high-performance culture in your team
- Provide thought leadership, strategic guidance and a long-term vision on machine learning related initiatives
What we are looking for:
- Deep technical knowledge in engineering and agile practices with a passion for learning new or emerging technologies
- People leader with ability to build capability through developing people
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Capable of providing reports, presentations, making risks transparent and driving communication effectively within the Team, with HoE and CTO and outside to the wider organisation (e.g. writing blog / newsletters)
- A leader who appreciates the importance of unlocking customer value at the earliest opportunity.
- Experience of working in a high-volume FinTech business
- Track record of driving the highest level of engineering standards: architecture, coding, processes, and working practices
- An innovative mindset who embraces change
- Ability to represent WorldRemit on a wider stage by attending/presenting at conferences & meet-ups
Summary of required experience & attributes
- Masters/PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science or a related quantitative field (or equivalent experience)
- Solid understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals and learning theory
- Experience in the Machine Learning model building and evaluation process
- Ability to translate business requirements into machine learning solutions
- Strong software engineering experience in Python
- Experience with SQL
- Experience in one or more in the following: fraud prevention, anti-money laundering, marketing optimisation and attribution, customer churn prediction and retention, time-series forecasting, pricing and customer service automation
- Experience building and maintaining data extraction, feature processing pipelines and machine learning models in a production environment
- Deep understanding of Machine Learning Algorithms and Libraries to allow for customisation towards business requirements
- Experience in statistical experiment design and performance analysis of machine learning models
- Understanding of Data Engineering and Big Data technologies (Hadoop, Spark, Kafka etc...)
- Experience working in the Amazon Web Services stack
- Life assurance of 3 times your salary, should the worst happen.
- Pension scheme offering 8% matched contributions.
- Private medical and dental care plans.
- 25 days of holiday plus bank holidays, rising to 28 after 3 years.
- Free breakfast and fruit every day and Friday 'afternoon tea' drinks and nibbles.
- No formal dress code