Data Engineering Team Leader
Who are we?
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money abroad. We’ve taken something complicated and made it simple. Tap the WorldRemit App or click on our website and your international transfer is made – to a bank account, cash pickup, Mobile Money, or airtime top-up. Founded in 2010, we send international remittances from 50 countries to more than 150 countries and we continue to expand our footprint.
Using WorldRemit is easy because we do the hard bit, connecting hundreds of banks, money agents, mobile operators and payment systems around the world. These were never designed to work together, but WorldRemit makes it happen.
WorldRemit has grown on average by 50% year on year and is now processing over £3bn of remittances on an annualised basis. We have raised c.$370 million in funding, currently employ over 800 employees and have offices in London, USA, Philippines, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong and other locations.
The journey is just beginning. We believe in faster, simpler, more accessible money transfers. That means building better products and services for our customers.
Changing the world isn’t easy – so we only hire the most talented people. You need to think differently, believe in new solutions to old problems, and have the drive to make them happen. We aim to attract, retain and develop people that can bring to life our values:
You can learn more about our culture and how we work by watching this video on our Careers page
About the Role
You are an inspirational role model responsible for leading, coaching and mentoring engineers in a self-organising, cross-skilled team environment. Acting as a servant/leader, you support and empower your team to deliver high quality solutions at WorldRemit, ensuring key decisions on technical approach and delivery are appropriate, timely, communicated and agreed with the Engineering group and Business Stakeholders.
As Data Engineering Team Leader, you will be responsible for the enhancement and ongoing maintenance of our Data Lake and Data Warehouse, writing new data pipelines to capture new data and transform this into high performance data sets to be exploited by Data Analysts, Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers.
- Providing technical and people leadership for a team of engineers, fostering a culture of support and collaboration in the team and across the broader product-engineering organisation
- Hands-on participation in Engineering tasks such as coding, peer reviews, building automation tests
- Acting as initial point of contact for your team and facilitating the inclusion of your engineers as required
- Working closely with Product Managers to align on your team’s capacity
- Working closely with Scrum Masters to build engagement, focus, responsibility and motivation in the team
- Working closely with Architects to discuss and agree solutions
- Facilitating continuous improvement in the team by reviewing performance metrics and ensuring improvements identified from retrospectives are actioned
- Communicating technical vision, roadmap, progress and knowledge in your area via presentations and digital channels, including the publication of blogs
- Helping others to reach agreement on solutions for complex challenges
- Assisting the Head of Engineering with performance reviews and responsible for personal development by holding regular 1:1s with team members
- Hiring and retaining top engineering talent; fostering a high-performance culture in your team
- Proactive enhancement and support of the Data architecture to minimise technical debt and maximise agility
Summary of required experience & attributes
- A skilled Python Data Engineer. You are experienced in building complex ETL pipelines using Python.
- Solid dimensional modelling experience. You can design a star schema from scratch
- Experience of the AWS stack. You have some previous experience of working with the AWS toolset. Any exposure in particular S3, Athena, Redshift or EMR would be an advantage.
- Big-data experience. You have used big data related tools and techniques extensively in previous roles (data lakes, distributed processing platforms, streaming technologies). Spark and Kafka would be an advantage.
- Exposure to Machine Learning. You understand the basics of machine learning, primarily in the area of feature engineering and supporting ML pipelines
- Happy in the Clouds. Our Cloud Native platform is hosted on AWS. You’ll be comfortable working with a system that supports users from around the world, at scale.
- Well-principled. Especially in the craft of Software Engineering – you will understand deeply: modularity, testability, extensibility, scalability and other –ilities.
- Bias for action. You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy in for your solutions and keep tickets moving. We’re always looking for ways to ship at pace.
- Growth mindset. A willingness to use your skills and experience to mentor less-experienced engineers. A desire to learn from others and make yourself better every day.
- Agile outlook. You need to be excited about working in a fast-changing environment. Products, tools, frameworks and processes change, we evolve and take the best bits with us. The teams drive the evolution.
What we are looking for:
- Deep technical knowledge in engineering and agile practices with a passion for learning new or emerging technologies
- People leader with ability to build capability through developing people
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Capable of providing reports, presentations, making risks transparent and driving communication effectively within the Team, with HoE and CTO and outside to the wider organisation (e.g. writing blog / newsletters)
- A leader who appreciates the importance of unlocking customer value at the earliest opportunity.
- Experience of working in a high-volume FinTech business
- Track record of driving the highest level of engineering standards: architecture, coding, processes, and working practices
- An innovative mindset who embraces change
- Ability to represent WorldRemit on a wider stage by attending/presenting at conferences & meet-ups