Who are we?
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money abroad. We’ve taken something complicated and made it simple, so that sending money is as easy as sending a text message Tap the WorldRemit app or head to on our website, and your international transfer is made – to a bank account, cash pickup, Mobile Money, or airtime top-up. Founded in 2010, we send international remittances from 50 countries to more than 150 countries and we continue to expand our footprint.
Using WorldRemit is easy because we do the hard part, connecting hundreds of banks, money agents, mobile operators and payment systems around the world. These were never designed to work together, but WorldRemit makes it happen.
WorldRemit has grown - on average - by 50% year on year and is now processing over £3.1bn of remittances on an annualised basis. WorldRemit’s success, and the size of the market it is operating in, means it has attracted investment from the world’s leading technology and impact investors, Accel, Technology Crossover Ventures (TCV) and Leapfrog with $370m invested to date. We currently employ close to 1,000 employees and have offices in London, USA, Philippines, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong and other locations.
The journey is just beginning. We believe in faster, simpler, more accessible money transfers. That means building better products and services for our customers.
Changing the world isn’t easy – so we only hire the most talented people. You need to think differently, believe in new solutions to old problems, and have the drive to make them happen. We aim to attract, retain and develop people that can bring to life our values:
- Aim high - We dream big, think bold and go the extra mile
- Embrace challenge - We ask questions, start conversations, and always love to learn
- Do what’s right - We act with integrity, building trust in ourselves and in our business
You can learn more about our culture and how we work by watching this video on our Careers page: https://www.worldremit.com/en/careers
About the Role
Australia is a key send country for WorldRemit and a major contributor to group revenues. The Australian Country Director role is Sydney CBD based and reports to the Chief Commercial Officer in London, who is a senior member of the global executive team.
You will manage and oversee all aspects of the commercial business of WorldRemit in Australia and develop and implement a strategy and plan for business growth in Australia.
You will also work closely with our compliance, marketing, finance, customer service and product and engineering teams in the APAC region and globally.
You will perform all duties inherent in a senior managerial role, including providing assistance, leadership and guidance to other WorldRemit employees in APAC across all APAC ‘Send’ jurisdictions.
There may also be an opportunity for the right candidate to act as a board director of WorldRemit’s Australian subsidiary company.
- The role will involve working with the global and APAC marketing team (in particular Offline Marketing) to drive customer acquisition in Australia through online and offline initiatives (including through affiliates and out-of-home advertising), strategic partnerships (including revenue share arrangements) and partnership marketing.
- Ensure that all marketing initiatives are measurable and report on the success or otherwise of those initiatives.
- Analyse local competition, pricing and industry trends and potential product evolution to meet the needs of local customers.
- Analyse global and local profit and loss reports, including understanding key profit and loss drivers and key financial metrics and focusing on high financial impact and growth levers.
- Provide local on-the-ground insights into the behaviour and needs of customers in Australia.
- Directly engage with customers and print / online media to further increase awareness of the WorldRemit brand.
- Establish, develop and/or maintain relationships with key business partners, including banks, merchant acquirers and other commercial partners in Australia.
- Establish, develop and/or maintain relationships with relevant regulators in Australia.
- Together with the Compliance team, ensure that WorldRemit Pty Ltd fulfils its regulatory filing obligations on a timely basis including (but not limited to), filing of International Funds Transfer Instructions (IFTIs and Suspicious Matters Reports (SMRs) to AUSTRAC, lodgement of corporate documentation to ASIC and submission of direct and indirect tax return information to relevant Commonwealth and State tax authorities.
- If and when relevant, manage and drive new product development for the Australian market.
- With support from APAC Compliance, implement and enforce company policies and procedures in Australia to comply with relevant anti-money laundering and counter terrorism financing regulations.
Summary of required experience & attributes
- Have at least 10 years’ experience in marketing, sales or business development including direct and partner driven customer acquisition.
- Offline Consumer Acquisition experience essential
- Proven track record demonstrating commercial and business acumen
- Have a high level of financial literacy, including the ability to interpret and analyse financial statements.
- Have an interest in fintech and disruptive technologies.
- Strong background and contacts in the Australian market
- Previous exposure across multiple cultures and grass-root communities
- People management experience
- Experience of working in a fast growing company
- Previous P & L responsibility
- Be self-motivated and able to work remotely and effectively collaborate with colleagues in other countries and time zones, including the UK.
- Fintech or Payments industry experience desirable
- APAC experience desirable
- excellent networking and communication skills
- Ability to recognize, react and adjust to rapidly changing conditions and to lead the resources in appropriate direction with cohesiveness and a sense of urgency
- Competitive base salary, bonus and equity.
- Entitlement to be considered for annual discretionary bonuses.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- No formal dress code.