Purpose of the Role:
Deliver visibility across the tech, fintech and business media landscape for WorldRemit as a leader in the digital money transfer business.
Our customers are principally migrants who send money – remittances – to support their families and communities at home. Founded by a UK-based entrepreneur from Somaliland, WorldRemit is disrupting the costly ‘bricks and mortar’ ways of sending funds home, offering better service and prices, ensuring more funds reach families. One of Europe’s fastest growing tech companies, we aim to reach 10 million customers by 2020 – half of these in Africa.
The Ideal Candidate:
A can-do proactive PR Executive who has extensive experience in pitching and securing widespread media coverage primarily in the UK but also abroad – specifically in tech, fintech and business titles. Someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is motivated to work in a global company with a strong sense of social purpose, and is accustomed to delivering impactful media coverage across different markets.
- Secure external coverage for WorldRemit to boost the business profile in the tech and fintech press, in the UK but also internationally across a wealth of receive markets.
- In addition to crafting press releases and pitching stories, the successful candidate will be able to set up media round-tables and deliver thought-leadership op eds. Externally focussed, s/he will know the major trends in the digital industry and how this affects our work.
- The post-holder will also work flexibly across other tasks – such as assisting senior executives prepare for speaking slots at major industry conferences.
- The successful candidate will also be confident in social media and experienced in amplifying media coverage across key owned and external social media channels.
- S/he will be experienced in securing coverage in different markets, and able to work in-location for media tours
- Spotting opportunities for the business to increase awareness and understanding with national, trade and regional journalists, and use your creativity to generate tactical ideas that share our vision and message with the media
- Managing the press office including outreach, briefings, sell ins, tactical launches, reactive enquiries, executive thought leadership support and events planning – primarily in the UK but also in emerging markets in key African countries, the Philippines and the APAC region.
- Working on global communications projects, supporting wider strategic objectives and aims
- Writing, editing and disseminating press releases
- Working collegially and flexibly to deliver excellent outcomes
- Working outside UK for short periods to support media tours/launches
- Using social media networks for press amplification
- Briefing senior executives & delivering briefings
- Ability to plan and juggle multiple deadlines
Skills & Knowledge:
- First-class writing skills - op eds, news stories and press releases
- Expert news judgement - can spot a ‘top-line’
- Strong ability to ‘pitch’ successfully on the phone and by email
- Social media savvy- with experience of repackaging messaging across different platforms.
- Strong network of contacts within tech, business and fintech media
- Knowledge of global trends within the fintech/digital industry e.g. GDPR, PSD2, Brexit.
- Knowledge of key PR tools and databases used in the market
- Strong ability to learn quickly across diverse topics
- Three to five years working in a top PR agency or in a media relations role in the UK, preferably at AE or SAE level, with some experience handling high growth tech or fintech accounts.
- Demonstrable track record of securing media coverage in influential regional and global titles
- Experience of and interest in the fintech and payments / FX space