Send mobile money to Zambia
See below for answers to your questions about sending mobile money to Zambia.
Which mobile money accounts can I send to Zambia?
You can send to MTN and Airtel mobile money accounts
The mobile money account must be (1) fully registered and (2) active.
When will funds be credited to mobile money accounts in Zambia?
- Speed: Instant
We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are credited. We may sometimes require further information from you before we can process the transfer in order to comply with our regulatory requirements. We will email you if this is the case.
What currencies can I send to mobile money accounts in Zambia?
Zambian Kwacha (ZMW) only.
How much can I send to mobile money accounts in Zambia?
- A maximum of ZMW 12,000 per transfer for MTN.
- A maximum of ZMW 10,000 per transfer for Airtel.
Please ensure that your recipient’s account has sufficient capacity for the transfer to be processed successfully. Your recipient can do this by reducing the balance in their account.
What information do I need from my recipient to send mobile money to Zambia?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full name. To avoid any delays, the recipient’s name should match the name registered on their mobile money account.
- Address. We need your recipient’s city.
- Mobile money account number:
- Fully registered and active MTN or Airtel mobile money accounts only.
- Length: 9 digits in total (excluding country code). MTN numbers begin with 96 or 76. Airtel numbers begin 97 or 77.
- Contact mobile number. We use this number to send SMS notifications to your recipient when the funds have been credited. This can be different from the mobile money account number.
- Sending reason. Please indicate whether it is “family or friend support,” “purchase of services,” “property payment,” or “sending fund to self”.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transfer, it is difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so.
What fees does my recipient pay in Zambia?
WorldRemit does not charge your recipient any additional fees for the mobile money transfer.
However, some local operators may charge them a fee when they withdraw funds as cash. This depends on the mobile operator’s policy and is not determined by WorldRemit.