Send cash pickups to Tanzania
See below for answers to your questions about sending money to Tanzania via cash pickup.
Where can my recipient collect the funds in Tanzania?
- Branches of The People’s Bank of Zanzibar
- Branches of Equity Bank Tanzania
When will funds be available to be collected in Tanzania?
Usually within a few minutes. We may sometimes require further information from you before we can process the transfer in order to comply with our regulatory requirements. We will email you if this is the case.
What currencies can I send for cash pickups in Tanzania?
Tanzanian Shillings (TZS) only.
How much can I send for cash pickups in Tanzania?
You can send a maximum of TZS 7,000,000 per transfer via The People’s Bank of Zanzibar.
You can send a maximum of TZS 15,000,000 per transfer via Equity Bank Tanzania.
There may be lower limits depending on the country where you are sending from and the payment method used to fund the transfer. Please see the relevant section in Payments for more info.
What information do I need from my recipient for cash pickups to Tanzania?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full legal name. It must match their valid, government-issued photo ID for them to successfully collect their funds.
- Address. We need your recipient’s city.
- Mobile number. We use this to send an SMS notification to your recipient with the transfer reference number which they will need in order to collect the funds. We will also inform them when their funds are ready to be collected.
- Sending reason. Please indicate whether it is “family or friend support,” “purchase of services,” “property payment,” or “sending funds to self”.
- Email (optional). We use this to email your recipient with details of the transfer. This is particularly useful in case they have issues receiving the SMS notifications.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transfer, it’s difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so.
What should my recipient show when collecting funds in Tanzania?
When collecting money in any of the banks, your recipient will need:
- Valid photo ID. This must be one of the following:
- Tanzanian passport
- National ID card
- Tanzanian Driving licence
- 8-digit transfer reference number. We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are ready to be collected and send a transfer reference number. Your recipient should quote ‘WorldRemit’ and the 8-digit transfer number.