Send cash pickups to South Africa
See below for answers to your questions about sending money to South Africa via Cash Pickup.
Where can my recipient collect the funds in South Africa?
Any branches of the Mukuru network.
When will funds be available to be collected in South Africa?
Usually within a few minutes. We may sometimes require further information from you before we can process the transfer in order to comply with our regulatory requirements. We will email you if this is the case.
What currencies can I send for cash pickups in South Africa?South African Rand (ZAR) only.
South African Rand (ZAR) only.
What is the max amount that I can send for cash pickups in South Africa?
- Minimum per transfer = ZAR equivalent of USD/GBP/EUR 20
- Maximum per transfer = ZAR 100,000
There may be lower limits depending on the country where you are sending from and the payment method used to fund the transfer. Please see the relevant section in Payments for more info.
What information do I need from my recipient for cash pickups in South Africa?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full legal name. It must match their valid, government-issued photo ID for them to successfully collect their funds.
- Address. We need your recipient’s city.
- Mobile number. We use this to send an SMS notification to your recipient with the transaction reference number which they will need in order to collect the funds. We will also inform them when their funds are ready to be collected.
- Sending reason. Please indicate whether it is “family or friend support,” “purchase of services,” “property payment,” or “sending fund to self”.
- Email (optional). We use this to email your recipient with details of the transaction. This is particularly useful in case they have issues receiving the SMS notifications.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transaction, it is difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so.
What should my recipient show when collecting funds in South Africa?
- Valid photo ID. This must be one of the following:
- South African passport
- National ID card
- Driving licence
- Foreign passport with visa or refugee card
- Proof of Address. South African residents need to provide a utility bill confirming their address.
- Quote “Moneytrans” and the 9-digit transaction reference number. We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are ready to be collected and send the transaction reference number. Please have your recipient quote this when collecting the funds.
How can I send money to South Africa via WorldRemit?
WorldRemit Ltd (registered in the UK) partner with local South African ADLAs (entities that are licensed in South Africa with authority to process money transfers into South Africa).
When sending money to South Africa via WorldRemit Ltd, your recipient in South Africa may be asked for further information as part of our partner's Due Diligence requirements. This is required for our partners to comply with Exchange Control Reporting obligations of ADLAs.
You can send money to South Africa, using WorldRemit's partners for cash pick-up, bank account and mobile money delivery.
How many transactions can I send per month through cash pickup?
South African regulations allow you to send up to a maximum of 5 cash pickup transactions per month.