Sending money to Nigeria in US Dollars
Following the new directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria, transfers with WorldRemit are now only available in US Dollars.
Can I still send money to Nigeria?
Yes, you can still send money to Nigeria using WorldRemit. The latest directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria has led to some changes to the services we offer. The 'Send Money' page on our website will be updated with the latest options available to you that includes cash pickup, bank transfer and airtime top-up.
What options are available to send money to Nigeria?
Cash Pickup, Bank Transfer and Airtime top-up are available to send money to Nigeria. You can check the available options by selecting Nigeria on the ‘Choose country to send to’ menu on our Website and App. On selecting Nigeria, WorldRemit will show you all the options to send money to the country.
It is important to know that whilst you can send money in the currency of your choice, the recipient will receive the chosen amount in US Dollars, as per the directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Cash pickup and Bank Transfer in USD currency is live and fast! Most cash pickup transactions take less than 10 minutes to arrive. While Bank Transfers may take up to 1 hour to show in your recipient's account.
Is it still possible to transfer Naira to Nigeria?
No, currently you cannot transfer Naira to Nigeria. All transfers will be paid out in US Dollars. WorldRemit has ensured the service is available to you at the best possible rate.
Which Cash Pickup locations are available?
You can pick up your money from any branch of the banks below:
Alternatively, you can check the updated list of locations by selecting Nigeria on the country dropdown menu on our Website and App, and then choose the ‘Cash Pickup’ service.
Where can I find the option to send money to Nigeria via cash pickup?
It is fast and simple. Just follow these steps:
- Start a new transfer
- Select Nigeria as the country you want to send money to
- Select USD Cash Pickup as a pay-out method
- You may use a previous recipient's details for further transactions. The details from earlier transfers will be auto filled for your new cash pickup transfer.
Can I send a bank transfer to Nigeria?
WorldRemit is working with banks across Nigeria to enable bank transfer in USD. So far, Bank Transfer for Fidelity and GTBank is available. More banks will be enabled over the coming days. You will see the ‘Bank Transfer’ option on the ‘Send Money’ page.
IMPORTANT: To send money via bank transfer, your recipient will require a USD bank account. For transfers to existing recipients, please remember to update the bank account number with the new one in USD.
How do I open a USD domiciled account?
If you need a USD account, your bank (Access, Fidelity, and GT Bank) will be able to help you. Generally, you will need to follow these steps:
- Ensure you have scanned copies of your important documents, which may include:
- Passport size photo
- Utility bill (not more than 3 months old)
- Bio-data page of your passport
- ID card
- a reference form from your bank
- a signature mandate card from your bank
- Go to your bank's website, and start an application for a USD domiciled account. You will be prompted to:
- Upload your documents
- Fill out your contact details
- Fill out other details, as necessary
- Wait for the bank to approve your application