Send mobile money transfers to Malawi
See below for answers to your questions about sending money to Malawi via Mobile Money.
Which mobile money accounts can I send to in Malawi?
Airtel Mobile Money accounts.
The mobile money account must be (1) fully registered and (2) active.
When will funds be credited to mobile money accounts in Malawi?
We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are credited. We sometimes require further information from you before we can process the transfer in order to comply with our regulatory requirements. We will email you if this is the case.
What currencies can I send to mobile money accounts in Malawi?
Malawian Kwacha (MWK) only.
How much can I send to mobile money accounts in Malawi?
- You can send a maximum of MWK 200,000 per transfer
- The combined daily limit for an Airtel Money account cannot exceed MWK 400,000
- The combined weekly limit for an Airtel Money account cannot exceed MWK 800,000
- The combined monthly limit for an Airtel Money account cannot exceed MWK 1,200,000
What information do I need from my recipient to send to mobile money accounts in Malawi?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full name. To avoid any delays. The recipient’s name should match the name on their mobile account exactly.
- Address. We need your recipient’s city.
- Mobile Money account number:
- Fully registered and active Airtel mobile money accounts only.
- Length: 9 digits in total (excluding country code).
- Sending reason. Please indicate whether it is “family or friend support,” “purchase of services,” “property payment,” or “sending fund to self”.
- Contact mobile number. We use this number to send SMS notifications to your recipient when the funds have been credited. This may be different from the mobile money account number.
- Email (optional). We use this to send an email to your recipient with details of the transaction. This is particularly useful in case they have issues receiving the SMS notifications.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transaction, it is difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so
What fees does my recipient pay in Malawi?
WorldRemit does not charge your recipient any additional fees for the mobile money transaction. However, some local operators may charge them a fee when they withdraw funds as cash. This depends on the mobile operator’s policy and is not determined by WorldRemit.