Send cash pickups to Ethiopia
See below for answers to your questions about sending money to Ethiopia via cash pickup.
Where can my recipient collect the funds in Ethiopia?
Your recipient can collect from any branch of Commercial Bank of Ethiopia, Lion International, Dashen Bank, Awash Bank, United Bank S.C., NIB International Bank, Abay Bank, Cooperative Bank of Oromia, Bank of Abyssinia, Berhan Bank, Oromia International Bank and Wegagen Bank.
When will funds be available to be collected in Ethiopia?
Usually within a few minutes. We may sometimes require further information from you before we can process the transfer in order to comply with our regulatory requirements. We will email you if this is the case.
What currencies can I send for cash pickups to Ethiopia?
US Dollar (USD) only.
As per the National Bank of Ethiopia regulations - all cash in Ethiopia must be paid in Ethiopian Birr (ETB). This means that funds will be converted from USD to ETB when the recipient collects.
How much can I send for cash pickups to Ethiopia?
The maximum amount per transfer is dependent on the country where you are sending from and the payment used to fund the transfer. Please see the relevant section in Payment for more information.
What information do I need from my recipient to collect funds in Ethiopia?
- Full name. Please enter your recipient’s full legal name. It must match their valid, government-issued photo ID for them to successfully collect their funds.
- Full Address. Please enter your recipient’s full address. It must match the address on their government-issued photo ID for them to successfully collect their funds.
- Sending reason. Please indicate whether it is “family or friend support,” “purchase of services,” “property payment,” or “sending funds to self”.
- Mobile number. We use this to send an SMS notification to your recipient with the transaction reference number which they will need in order to collect the funds. We will also inform them when their funds are ready to be collected.
- Email (optional). We use this to email your recipient with details of the transaction. This is particularly useful in case they have issues receiving the SMS notifications.
Please ensure that all your recipient’s details are correct. Once you make your transaction, it is difficult for us to amend or stop the transfer, although we will always try our best to do so.
What should my recipient show when collecting funds in Ethiopia?
Valid Photo ID. This must be one of the following:
- Ethiopian passport
- Ethiopian driver’s licence
- Other government issued photo IDs
13-digit transaction reference number starting with WRETH. We will notify you and your recipient by email and SMS when funds are ready to be collected and send a transaction reference number. Please quote this when collecting the funds.